One of many classic Yogi Berra quotes.

Monday, May 4, 2009

Getting better, step by step

I find it hard to believe that it has been six weeks now since getting the pins out of my toes.
I had been on crutches seven weeks, and now, almost the same amount of time has passed since being off of them.

It is amazing how time can fly when you are walking, compared to when you are on crutches...

I still have not gone for a ride on the bike yet this year, this will be by far my latest "first ride of the season" since I resumed riding in 2002 after a 23 year break from it.
Normally I would make it a point to ride as early as possible in March - and here we are in May already...

Oh well - at least I will not be freezing on my first ride as I normally am :-)

On the orders of my surgeon at my last appointment 4 weeks ago, I have stopped wearing my usual Adidas tennis shoes and switched over to a pair of "New Balance" due to their having thicker soles, and their weight shifting design.

I have to admit, they are a darn comfortable pair of shoes, but at the price I paid for them - they better be!

Also on the orders of my surgeon, I began bending the toes that were pinned - since they did not seem to want to move on their own any more.
I must admit the first few times was with great trepidation, since I was afraid the joints had grown together and that I might snap something.

As usual, he (surgeon) knew his stuff, and the toes bent easily - and now four weeks later, they actually have about 50% of their original movement to them.

I am definitely ready to put this chapter of my life behind me, but while I may be riding again soon (this week?) I definitely will not be using our treadmill for a long time yet.

In two weeks I have another followup appointment - hopefully all three fractures are healing nicely - instead of just two like at my last checkup...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home